hosts.allow and syslog - not logging

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Jan 20 13:53:23 UTC 2006

Hello,

Using RHEL4 (update 2) I have in the /etc/hosts.allow file this entry:

   exim : 141.163. : severity daemon.notice : ALLOW

(Exim is a mail MTA package.) In the /etc/syslog.conf file I also have:

  daemon.notice               /var/log/daemon

However, if I connect to the server on port 25 I get a response from
Exim but no connection attempt is logged by syslog to /var/log/daemon. I
have tried changing the syslog.conf file to things like 'daemon.debug',
and then restarting ksyslogd, but still nothing logged. If I change the
hosts.allow file and comment out the exim line, we operate a default
deny policy in the hosts.deny file, then I get denied access to Exim.

Anyone any ideas about why syslog is not logging things?

Thanks,

John.