Network issues after Kernel upgrade

Jason Williard jwilliard at pcsafe.com
Sat Jan 21 20:47:52 UTC 2006

I recently upgraded the kernel using up2date on one of my RHEL3 servers and
began running into issues starting up the network interfaces.  When I try, I
get the error:

[root at host root]# ifup eth0
natsemi device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.
[root at host root]# ifup eth1
natsemi device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

This is true whether I am trying to start eth0 or eth1, though eth1 uses tg3
rather than natsemi.  I checked to see if the drivers existed, and they do.
I was upgrading from 2.4.21-27.ELsmp to 2.4.21-37.ELsmp.  As this failed, I
immediately reverted back, but am still experiencing the same issue.  I was
not seeing this before the upgrade.  Does anyone know what would cause such
an error?

----
Thank You,
Jason Williard