Second drive

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Jan 26 04:06:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 09:11:18PM -0500, Tenacious One wrote:
> Hmm, maybe I'm doing something wrong. It looks as though I created it ok:
>
> #df -h
> /dev/hda2             3.2G  2.5G  510M  84% /
> /dev/hda1              99M  9.2M   85M  10% /boot
> none                  251M     0  251M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hdb1             3.2G  2.5G  510M  84% /

The problem is you've mounted it on / - the same place /dev/hda2 is
mounted.

> Above command shows, it's only 510M free??? Yet it's a 13G drive:

The free space it's reporting is the same because it's the free space on
/, not the drive.  df works on filesystems, not drives.

> I tried to create a directory that I could add to the /etc/fstab to
> mount at boot:
>
> # mkdir /dev/hdb1/data
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/dev/hdb1/data': Not a directory
>
> I want to use all of the drive as a mount point, say, "Data", what am
> I doing wrong?

If you haven't created a file system on it, you should do that first:

# mkfs.ext3 -j -L data /dev/hdb1

Then create an empty you want to use to mount the filesystem into:
# mkdir /data

And finally mount that partition into that directory.  If there are
files in the directory you use, you'll hide what's underneath so it
should always be empty.

# mount /dev/hdb1 /data

When you put the entry in fstab, it should be like so (space it to line
up everything else in fstab for readability):
LABEL=data        /data        ext3    defaults  1 2

Always mount by label, never by physical partition.

Cheers,
        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE