ftp proxying possible?

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Thu Jan 26 14:28:37 UTC 2006

You may use the 'DNAT' facility of iptables firewall package on your
gateway to forward FTP [control] port of your server to outside world.
You could also use, for FTP control connection, the port forwarding
option provided by xinetd. However, in that case only the one of FTP
modes (the active one) will work, so clients which themselves are behind
the NAT on their side of connection may have problems connecting to FTP
server. I am not sure about such problems when using DNAT - when you are
using SNAT for an FTP _client_ behind the firewall, the special iptables
helper module solves that problem, but I am not sure that this module
works for DNAT also.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux
http://www.brainbench.com