Re Help with ES v3 Raid

Frank DiPrete fdiprete at comcast.net
Fri Jan 27 18:30:32 UTC 2006

Hi, I'm trying to setup a Raid1 mirror between 2 hard drives. I have the
following.

1- SDA 36gig System disk
2- SDB 36gig blank
3- SDC 36gig blank

I'm trying to Mirror SDB to SDC by doing the following.

1- By using FDisk I created SDB1 and SDC1 on each drive.
2- I then makefs ext3 for each partition.
3- Then I used mkadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1
--raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1

I ran watch cat /proc/mdstat until the process was completed.
4- when it was complete I tested the mount using mount -t
ext3 /dev/md0 /home/apps and it mounted and I was able to open it.
5- I then edited fstab with /dev/md0 /home/apps ext3 defaults 1 2 and
rebooted.
6- I now get the following error at boot.

FSCK.ext3 /dev/mdo the superblock could not be read or does not describe
a correct EXT2 Filesystem.......bla bla and asks to run E2FSCK -B 8193

7- I used Vi and comented out the mount in fstab and re-booted. I tried
to manually mount the drive the same way as (Item #4) and it now fails
Mount: Wrong FS Type.

Any ideas as to what I need to do. Sould I use ext3 ?

thanks

Check the order here:

1) create physical partitions on sdb and sdc of type linux raid
2) create the (soft) raid array
3) mkfs on the raid device created in step 2
4) mount the file system created in step 3