(RHE4) Logrotate Not Restarting Syslog

Jason Williard jwilliard at pcsafe.com
Mon Jan 30 19:01:44 UTC 2006

I have 3 new systems running RHE4, all of which are experiencing the same
issue.  When the logs are rotated according to the script installed by
default, syslogd is not be restarted.  I have set SELinux to run in
Permissive mode while I get the servers configured.  Below is a copy of
/etc/logrotate.d/syslog

/var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/spooler
/var/log/boot.log /var/log/cron {
    sharedscripts
    postrotate
        /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null
|| true
    endscript
}

If I run the postrotate command by itself, it works.  However, it does not
work when I force the logrotate, as seen below:

[root at host log]# logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.d/syslog
error: error running shared postrotate script for /var/log/messages
/var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/spooler /var/log/boot.log
/var/log/cron

Does anyone know why this is not working?

----
Thank You,
Jason Williard