(RHE4) Logrotate Not Restarting Syslog

Sean O Sullivan seanos at seanos.net
Mon Jan 30 19:31:08 UTC 2006

Bohmer, Andre ten wrote:
>> If I run the postrotate command by itself, it works.
>> However, it does not
>> work when I force the logrotate, as seen below:
>>
>> [root at host log]# logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.d/syslog
>> error: error running shared postrotate script for /var/log/messages
>> /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/spooler /var/log/boot.log
>> /var/log/cron
>>

>> Does anyone know why this is not working?
> Maybe, but I had something similar which was caused because the /tmp partition mounted with noexec.

This is common - bugzilla.redhat.com has fair bit of information in
regards to it.

Easiest fix is, edit /etc/cron.daily/logrotate so that it contains :
export TMPDIR=/var/run  before the /usr/sbin/logrotate line.

The only issue with this solution is - if you ever update logrotate this
config file will have to be re-edited

Regards,

Sean