/etc/issue

Mallasch, Paul Paul.Mallasch at Tectura.com
Mon Jan 30 23:32:26 UTC 2006

I write a number of things including OS environmental variables values
to /etc/issue and it always appears on both a serial console and on
hardware with video consoles.  No problem.

--P
-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Coleman, Kelley
(HAC)
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 1:57 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: RE: /etc/issue

I log in using ssh on Reflection, which apparently is controlled by the
sshd_config file.  My BANNER parameter shows up there no problem, thanks
to other guidance I received here.

The place I'm trying to get the banner is on the console (which I rarely
use), at the login page.  I was pointed to the /etc/issue file.  I put
the banner verbiage in there, but it doesn't show up on the console. I'm
almost wondering if there isn't a bitmap I can create then make that the
background.  I don't know...I'm starting to give up.

Kelley