OpenLDAP + User Authentication

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Tue Jan 31 04:21:35 UTC 2006

I'm a little confused on how this is going to happen.  Here's what we
have:

First LDAP server has a base DN of: o=InformaticsInstitute,o=UMDNJ,c=US
Second LDAP server has a base DN of: o=research.umdnj.edu,o=umdnj.edu

Some users will be unique to the first LDAP, other users will be unique
to the second LDAP, and some might overlap.  Here's an example of a user
the first LDAP directory and the second LDAP directory:

uid=someuser,ou=People,o=InformaticsInstitute,o=UMDNJ,c=US

uid=someuser,ou=People,o=research.umdnj.edu,o=umdnj.edu

How am I going to combine these two directories into one?  Other than
the base DN difference, the users are both in ou=People.  I could just
dump all the users from one LDAP directory into the other, but I want to
make sure I'm doing things right.

The other problem is that I doubt this other dept will grant us admin
access to their ldap server and doubtful they will give up their ldap
server to use ours.  I don't want to manage this stuff, so I'll go with
theirs.

If we set up a separate tree on their server for our users, how can we
add their users from "ou=People,o=research.umdnj.edu,o=umdnj.edu" to be
able to access our resources when our machines authenticate users from
"ou=People,o=InformaticsInstitute,o=UMDNJ,c=US"?

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Ryan