OS Overhead

Burke, Thomas G. tg.burke at ngc.com
Tue Jan 31 14:02:21 UTC 2006

Since we as yet have no hardware, I'm just looking for "A rule of
thumb," so we can size our processors appropriately.  We're looking at
bitware 8-processor boards, but we're not sure that those will be enough
to do what we're asking in the allotted time, thus I'm lookg for the
"rule of thumb" to appropriately size the processing capacity.  I'm
already down at the "clock tics per instruction" level to see what seems
achievable with *no* OS.  I will assume an inefficiency due to the
compiler, also - of ~15%.

	-Tom