Migrating from AS3 to AS4 - experiences w/ upgrade vs. reinstall?

Nitin forumswatch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 16:56:46 UTC 2006

Tom Hansen wrote:

> We have RHEL AS3 Update 7 and are considering upgrading to the current
> RHEL AS4 to gain the additional hardware support of the 2.6 kernel.
>
> We would like to do the upgrade rather than reinstalling everything
> from scratch.  Is this just an empty hope, or does this stand a
> reasonable chance of success?
>
> Experiences, anyone?
>
> Thanks.

 An upgrade option is available to allow an upgrade without requiring a
full reinstall. It can be used by inserting boot disk of new version and
then by typing at boot prompt:

linux upgrade
or
linux upgradeany

This will walk you through the upgrade procedure. I never gone through
this but OS gives this facility.

--Nitin