RedHat 8.0 onto a Dell PowerEdge SC1425

Richard Hobbs richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Tue Jul 11 13:55:54 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have successfully installed RedHat 8.0 onto a Dell PowerEdge SC1425
today. This server has two SATA hard drives, and an IDE DVD-ROM drive.

Using the following kernel parameters, i successfully installed across
both hard drives from CD:

  ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 vga=791 resolution=1024x768 expert

However, since installation, the system no longer boots. I've tried
appending the above parameters to the kernel line in grub, but is still
doesn't boot.

It starts to boot, and everything looks fine, until it tries to remount
the root fs in read/write mode, at which point it appears to hang.

There are several messages on screen, all of which are normal, except
two instances of the following:

  hdc: status error: status = 0x58

NOTE: For some reason, the two hard drives were picked up as hdc and
hde, but it seemed to install OK.

If i boot up into rescue mode on the installation CD, i can mount the
drives fine, and chroot into my newly built system, but it just won't
boot up by itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you in advance!

Richard.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group
Normal Email: richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Mobile Email: mobile at mongeese.co.uk
Tel: +44 1223 376964        Mobile: +44 7811 803377