Sound issue with Panasonic Toughbook CF-29

Kevin K k_krieser at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 30 23:54:13 UTC 2006

Before I try calling Red Hat support, I thought I would see if anyone
here has an idea.

I've been experimenting with RHEL 3, Update 8, on a new Toughbook
that is currently dual booted with Windows (just during the
evaluation stage).

Anyway, if the sound is muted under Windows, I can't get any system
sounds when booted under RedHat.  This includes sounds such as the
beeps when you insert a PCMCIA card, Ctrl G, etc.  I would assume
also under KDE if I had installed those programs.

If I reboot, and enable sound under Windows, when booted back in RH
the above sounds work fine.

It would appear that, according to the mixer, the volumes are at 67
in both cases.

The sound card is apparently the SigmaTel™ 9751 audio controller,
using the i810 audio driver.

I need some setting that doesn't include Windows, since Windows won't
be installed on our systems, but I don't know if it can be guaranteed
that the sound card won't be muted before Linux is installed in the
future.

Thanks,
Kevin