help starting eth2 before eth1 for routing purpose

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 17:25:17 UTC 2006

OM, reconfiguring is extremely simple and you'll probably have an
easier time doing that than the alternative solution unless there are
better solutions than what I can think of off the top of my head.

1) reconfiguring: If eth2 and eth1 are the same type of NICs, go to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and modify the properties of ifcfg-eth2
and ifcfg-eth1 and then type "service network restart" at command line
and your NICs would be reconfigured to each other's addresses etc.

2) no reconfiguring: Turn off network activation during startup:
chkconfig network stop
then in place the lines in the file /etc/rc3.d/S99local
ifup eth2
ifup eth1

in the above mentioned order and I'm guessing that would startup eth2
before eth1.

never tried it but logically it might work.

Hope it helps
\R