help starting eth2 before eth1 for routing purpose

Wayne Pinette Wpinette at tru.ca
Wed Jul 5 17:44:20 UTC 2006

Sorry, I should add that those two lines you put in should be before the
for i in $interfaces; do  line

Wayner

>>> Wpinette at tru.ca 07/05/06 10:39 am >>>
This will work only if you are using simple tcp/ip on your two
interfaces.

If you are using VLANS, IPX, VPNS, IPV6, or anything like that, I
don't
think it will work.

Also, your loopback interface probably won't come up either.

Personally, I think it would be safer/easier just to reconfigure your
two network  cards, but if you really really don't want to do that,

copy your /etc/init.d/network script to /etc/init.d/network_orig

edit /etc/init.d/network  and look for the line that contains ./ifup
$i
boot (it will be there twice I think)

comment this line out and put in two lines that look exactly the same
only it would be ./ifup eth1 boot  and ./ifup eth2 boot.

This way your system still "acts" vanilla only it isn't.

That's my 2 cents worth  :-P

Wayner

P.S.

This advice is only speculation I haven't actually tested it or done
it.

>>> omarhasan at yahoo.com 07/05/06 10:28 am >>>
Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Best Regards

OM