Migrating from AS3 to AS4 - experiences w/ upgrade vs. reinstall?

Arun Williams perks_williams at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jul 10 04:36:15 UTC 2006

Hi,

  There two ways (which I have tried out ) to upgrade from RHEL3AS TO RHEL4AS.

  1>
  boot from rhel4as cd and go for a normal installation.The installation program searches for any existing RHEL versions installed, and if it finds one then it provides u with 2 options, one is upgrade and another is  new install. Go for upgrade and it will work fine.

  2>
  boot from rhel4as cd and at linux installation prompt enter "linux upgrade". Even this works fine. But not recommended.

  Regards,
  Arun William.

Tom Hansen <tomh at uwm.edu> wrote:

We have RHEL AS3 Update 7 and are considering upgrading to the current
RHEL AS4 to gain the additional hardware support of the 2.6 kernel.

We would like to do the upgrade rather than reinstalling everything from
scratch. Is this just an empty hope, or does this stand a reasonable
chance of success?

Experiences, anyone?

Thanks.

--
Tom Hansen
Senior Information Processing Consultant
tomh at uwm.edu
www.glwi.uwm.edu

Regards
A.Williams
IN THIS WORLD FULL OF DREAMS AND IMAGINATION, LOOK FOR POSSIBILITIES...