up2date fails with SSL error

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Mon Jul 10 16:36:57 UTC 2006

I'm bringing up a new machine, and when it first comes up, I run
up2date.  However, when it tries to send hardware details to Redhat,
it hangs for a quite a while -- maybe 5 minutes -- and then fails.  I
can see the system in the RHN web interface, but RHN knows nothing
about the system -- no hardware, no packages, nothing.  If I try to
run up2date with the --hardware flag, I get:

# up2date -v --hardware
Updating hardware profile...
There was an SSL error: (110, 'Connection timed out')
A common cause of this error is the system time being
incorrect. Verify that the time on this system is correct.

The time on the system *is*, in fact, correct.

The really strange thing is that I've reinstalled this machine twice
now, and had the same issue each time.  I'm kickstarting the machine,
and the other box I kickstarted with the same kickstart config works
fine.  Any ideas?

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University