up2date fails with SSL error

Caricofe, Bradley bcaricofe at verisign.com
Mon Jul 10 21:32:14 UTC 2006

> # up2date -v --hardware
> Updating hardware profile...
> There was an SSL error: (110, 'Connection timed out') A
> common cause of this error is the system time being
> incorrect. Verify that the time on this system is correct.

I recall seeing this a few times before.  I couldn't remember the exact
cause in my case but I did some digging on my host's forums and found
this:

http://forum.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?t=61328&highlight=SSL+error

Although the link in this post may not fix your issue, it may point you
in
the right direction.  You probably need to update up2date before running
it
again.

- Brad