USB support

Margaret_Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Tue Jul 11 21:07:36 UTC 2006

On Tuesday, July 11, 2006, at 04:34 PM, Margaret_Doll wrote:

> I have RedHat Enterprise,  at 2.4.21-40 EL on a system.
>
> I thought USB support is supposed to be included in kernels over 2.4.
> However, /proc/bus/usb does not exist.
>
> Do I have to build a kernel to see a USB disk that I just put on the
> system?

I found that on a system which has been first installed as RedHat 3
version 6, the USB support is there.
That support, however, is not present on a system which has come up by
increments.

Are there USB support software that I can add to the older system
without rebuilding the kernel?  I don't want to rebuilt a kernel on a
production computer.