RHEL 3 - 2.4.21-32.0.1.EL update

Harsh Busa hbusa at ebackend.com
Wed Jul 12 07:43:54 UTC 2006

Hi

I m a little new to RHEL servers. We have a server running some really
critical stuff and are fairly happy with it
<snip>
[root at myServer log]# uname -a
Linux myServer.com 2.4.21-32.0.1.EL #1 Tue May 17 17:55:54 EDT 2005 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux
</snip>
recently we are facing some issues with mysql getting stuck and now the
server suddenly frooze and no valuable information seems to be registered in
the log files.

Redhat network suggest  upgrading to newer kernel
<snip>
[root at myServer log]# up2date -l

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-i386-es-3...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-i386-es-3-extras...

Fetching rpm headers...

Name                                    Version        Rel

The following Packages were marked to be skipped by your configuration:

Name                                    Version        Rel  Reason
kernel                                  2.4.21         40.ELPkg name/pattern
kernel-doc                              2.4.21         40.ELPkg name/pattern
kernel-source                           2.4.21         40.ELPkg name/pattern
kernel-utils                            2.4            8.37.14Pkgname/pattern

</snip>

Has anyone faced any issues whatsoever with this kernel ? Should I go ahead
and upgrade to this release ?

Regards
Harsh