Monitor not recognized

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 13 11:28:50 UTC 2006

> Hello all,
>
> I'm having a problem where my RHEL WS 4 does not recognize my display
> monitor anymore.
>
> I had to move my home linux machine from one room into the other and
> rebooted without the monitor plugged in.  That must have disabled the
> video
> driver or something because after I plugged it in and rebooted, it still
> would not recognize the monitor (in console mode or X).
>
> I can ssh in to the machine (and even using X via X forwarding) but the
> console s unusable.
>
> What can I do?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

This was strange.  I adjusted the settings and checked the log files as
Ronno mentioned (thanks for the help).  The X config file had an error in
which the EDID parameters were not received by the console monitor.

I disconnected and rebooted several times.

I figured there may be something wrong with the monitor so I hooked it into
my windows laptop and it was fine.  When I then reconnected (for the nth
time to my linux machine) and rebooted, it worked.

Did my windows laptop reset something on the monitor?  I can't see how but
it works now.

Michael