Grub and logical Volumes

John O'Loughlin j.oloughlin at qmul.ac.uk
Fri Jul 21 16:56:57 UTC 2006

I've noticed a bit of a problem with grub when using the grub shell.
I have system that has a boot partition, and a logical volume
(/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00) that is mounted as the root fileysstem. From
the
grub shell if you do this:

grub > kernel = /vmlinuz-version  ro root=/dev/Volgroup00/LogVol00

With this line being the same as in grub.conf
and then boot, I get a message about appending a correct device to root=

When this is done with a standard linux partition, say /dev/hda2 or
whatever, its no problem, I only get a problem when the device is a
logical volume.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

John