nfs and showmount inconsistency

cleger at scs.carleton.ca cleger at scs.carleton.ca
Sat Jul 22 20:52:14 UTC 2006

Hello list,

I was wondering if anyone can shed light on the following.

I have a network server which provides, among other things, an nfs export.

When I call the 'showmount' command to see who or what is using the export,
I see IP addresses which are not in my /etc/exports file. The /etc/exports file
contains no generic addresses, but rather only explicit full IPs of the machines
that I want to allow mounting the share. I am sure that the current /etc/exports
is the one in use, since I have both called /etc/init.d/nfs reload AND rebooted
since last editing /etc/exports.

Does anyone know what behavior of either nfs or showmount might explain this?

Thank you for your time,

Christian