HP Trap Alerts

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at digitalpath.net
Thu Jul 27 17:00:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:56:29AM -0500, Paul Crittenden wrote:
> We are running RHE 4.0 on an HP DL385. Up until a week ago we had no
> problems. Since last Thursday and periodically since then the server has
> rebooted with HP ASR trap alerts being the only indication that it
> happened. The only thing that changed is that on Friday, July 14, I
> updated the server with patches from Redhat. I know that a new kernel
> was part of this update and am assuming that may be the problem.  I know
> we used to be able to choose which kernel to boot, although I don't know
> for sure if it was available in RHE 4.0. How can I go back to an older
> kernel and see if this fixes my problem? Does anyone have any other
> suggestions.

Definitely give that a try.  Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to make a different
kernel the default or choose one manually from the menu on boot-up.

You could also probably check the log in the HP's bios on boot-up as well to
see if there is anything useful there.  This information may be accessible
from the HP Insight Manager web interface also?

Ray