HP Trap Alerts

David Tonhofer d.tonhofer at m-plify.com
Thu Jul 27 17:08:01 UTC 2006

Paul Crittenden wrote:
> I know
> we used to be able to choose which kernel to boot, although I don't know
> for sure if it was available in RHE 4.0. How can I go back to an older
> kernel and see if this fixes my problem? Does anyone have any other
> suggestions.

Hi Paul,

Going back to an older kernel sounds good

In principle, the GRUB boot menu should allow you to choose the kernel.
Immediately after
the BIOS has handed control over to the boot loader, you have a couple
of seconds to
hit a button, then you can select an earlier kernel manually.

For permanent selection, edit "/boot/grub/grub.conf" and edit the
"default" index value to your
desired kernel as described here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#default

-- David