Odp: Re: disable cron job??

Bartosz Brewinski BBrewinski at lukas.com.pl
Mon Jul 31 18:11:28 UTC 2006

> On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 05:10:46AM +0800, mcclnx mcc wrote:
>> mrtg   --   run every 5 minutes
>> sa1   --      run every 10 minutes
>>
>> Can I disable those tow con jobs? What problem or disavvantage will
happen
>> if I disable it?

> sa1 is part of the system accounting; it logs what commands are
being
> run (and the results of this can be seen with the 'lastcomm'
command).
> If you disable it, you won't have that information, but it won't
cause
> any problems otherwise.

Actually "sa1" binary is part os "sar" toolkit (sysstat package). It
gathers system performance statistics and saves them to binary files
/var/log/sa<day number>.
Another binary from sar toolkit "sa2" which is run once per day
generates (based on /var/log/sa<day number> file) daily system
performance report which is then saved in  /var/log/sa/sar<day number>
file.

They're not neccessary for normal system operation and can be disabled
(whole sysstat package can be removed) but given the fact that sa1 and
sa2 programs are not resource consuming and the fact that sar reports
can be quite useful (i suggest storing them) - i would suggest not to
disable them.

bartek