question for overhead for having webserver facing public domain

Michael Christian mchristianjr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 14:03:59 UTC 2006

I would ES unless you're specifically running a java servlet

1. Keep it up to date, secure all ports except 80 and/or 443 for web service
- other than that just watch the logs and there's no need for extra
software.  Some people like Webmin.
2. no - just use common sense
3. 3hours per week for grepping logs(depending on quantity)- maybe a couple
hours per month to keep updated.  This is going to depend on the traffic of
the site and number of domains.
4. None I would reccomend as they just add security overhead.

On 6/5/06, Yasushi Okubo <yasushi at cabm.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> Hi, experts
>
> We have a new project to place one of our linux servers outside our
> private network to provide public access to our web-based application.
> But I do not have an experience for security management to protect this
> box from security threat.
>
> So, I would like to have advices for the following issues [I am planning
> to install AS4.0 onto this machine]:
>
> 1. any good security management software tools ?
> 2. other concerns by owning a server in public domain beside security
> 3. how many hours per day sys admin should expect to spend to mange such
> a machine
> 4. any web resources to manage such a machine
>
> Thank you,
> yasushi

Michael S. Christian Jr.