SATA Driver Image Partition

Marcelino Mata mmata at multimatic.com
Thu Jun 1 21:45:55 UTC 2006

Unfortantely, you are not still giving the full picture....

Bottom line :  Linux distro MUST has driver for SATA controller or no
disks will be shown.  It does not matter what the BIOS says.  SATA is
not SCSI device even though Linux accesses them like SCSI device (or
something like that)

Using google, I belive the ML150 uses "Adaptec AIC-8130 with Marwell
chipset"

Running this, you can confirm/deny this:

lspci -vv

Output will be something like this :

03:04.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
MV88SX6041 4-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 07)
#
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 103c

Kernel module is probably called mv_sata.ko

This is also known as "Adaptec_Marvell_H2" driver.  Search for LiveCD
which includes it on the image.

Here's a crazy suggestion, try Centos4 LiveCD recently released.  No
idea if it has partimage or the Marvell SATA driver...

What partitions are you creating images for?  All of them?   Just /home?
What is the point of the image if they are on the disk?  Disk fails,
image fails too!  How did the system fail before?   User error or drive
hardware failure?

I just come across BackupPC which might give you what you want...
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/  Finding rpm's should not be hard.  No
experience with BackupPC....

With Mondorescue, you can write images to DVD / CDROM or tape.  If
server does not have burner, you can write image to spare partition and
then burn them on another computer.   Be warned, that Mondorescue is
intended for complete bare metal system restore.  Only advance users
will be able to use it for specific partitions.  Any datbases, mysql etc
must be shutdown when image is created.

If you are only creating "images" of /home, have you considered creating
software RAID 1 (mirrored) to the second disk?  It's simpler than LVM
but creates some reduntancy.....negative is extra I/O....

Marcelino