Boot loader problem after addiing SCSI disk

I have hit a problem in booting up a RH 9 box after adding a SCSI disk.

The boot process pauses after displaying:

  GRUB Loading stage 1.5
  GRUB Loading, please wait...

The machine does not show any response, not even
Control-Alternate-Delete.

I boot off RH9 CD and started off Linux rescue mode.

I can see all the existing scsi disks as well as the new one -
though somehow, the new one becomes sda, and the old sda becomes sdb,
and the old sdb becomes sdc.

I tried to reset the MBR with grub-install /dev/sdb
but same result.

I have also tried replacing all references on hd0,0 to be hd1,0
in grub.conf, and reapply grub-install /dev/sdb, still no joy.

Any idea anyone?

Thanks.

Peter