EL4 -- HAL -- fstab-sync -- 95userpolicy -- USB

Scott Ruckh sruckh at gemneye.org
Fri Jun 9 06:33:57 UTC 2006

I am trying to automount an external USB hard drive.  From everything I
have come across it looks like HAL (haldaemon) is what I need to use.

Without HAL in the picture I do the following:

mount /dev/sdb1 /BACKUPS

(drwxrwxr-x    9 root   bacula  4096 Apr 22 10:37 BACKUPS)

/dev/sdb1 is formated with ext3 and everything works as expected when
manually mounting the drive.

In order to try and get automounting working via HAL I have attempted the
following:

I created the following file:
/usr/share/hal/fdi/95userpolicy/WD-5000KS-USB.fdi

with the contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="block.is_volume" bool="true">
      <match key="volume.fsusage" string="filesystem">
        <match key="volume.uuid"
string="21694bc7-5393-4329-90f0-d29cc5b3336d">
          <merge key="volume.policy.desired_mount_point"
type="string">BACKUPS</merge>
          <merge key="storage.policy.default.mount_option.noauto"
type="bool">false</merge>
        </match>
      </match>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

When I plug this device in the directory /media/BACKUPS is created.
(drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Jun  8 22:05 BACKUPS)

As you can see it is owned by root with group also being root (different
from my /BACKUPS directory).

Also, fstab-sync put the following in /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb1               /media/BACKUPS          ext3
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

I do not know why the noauto is used when I set
storage.policy.default.mount_option.noauto to false in the .fdi file.

More importantly I do not know how to change the mountpoint to just
/BACKUPS and not to /media/BACKUPS.

Also the drive does not automount eventhough the directory is created and
fstab-synch adds content to the /etc/fstab file.

Another question, is it possible to override
storage.policy.default.mount_root to something other then /media for a
single device?  Can this device be mounted on a branch off the "/"
directory (ie., /BACKUPS)?

My basic question:  Is there away to utilize HAL to accomplish the same
thing as I do with the manual mount command?

Thanks.
Scott