Installing RHEL ES4 on an Intel EM64T machine

I just purchased my first box with a xeon processor. When I installed RHEL ES4 on it, the installer put two kernels, 2.6.9-5.EL and 2.6.9-5.ELsmp on it. When executing "uname --all" I see that it is running the smp kernel.

Does anyone know why both were installed by the installer?

Is it just in case the smp kernel doesn't work?

Is it because I have hyperthreading turned on in the bios?

Is is safe to remove the kernel not being used?

Thanks!
Bill Tangren