Re: Installing RHEL ES4 on an Intel EM64T machine

--On Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:16 PM -0400 Bill Tangren <bjt aa usno navy mil> wrote:

I just purchased my first box with a xeon processor. When
I installed RHEL ES4 on it, the installer put two kernels,
2.6.9-5.EL and 2.6.9-5.ELsmp on it. When executing "uname --all"
I see that it is running the smp kernel.

Does anyone know why both were installed by the installer?
Is it just in case the smp kernel doesn't work?

Yes. It is sometimes useful to fall back to a
non-SMP kernel if there is trouble with the hardware and
the machine locks up etc. when running SMP.

Is it because I have hyperthreading turned on in the bios?

Indeed. The SMP kernel comes in handy in that case. Run
"top", press "1" and admire the two-CPU machine.

Is is safe to remove the kernel not being used?

Sure but why would you want to do that? It might come back to
haunt you later.

Best regards,

-- David Tonhofer