RE: ulimit change does not persist across system boot

Would it be to obvious to add a line to /etc/rc.sysinit like:
action $"Fixing Ulimit stuff: " ulimit -n 4096

(the action command will give the nice rc script  line with ok/fail)

 Matthijs Sneijders

     CORUS
     Research,
     Development
     &
     Technology

     Building
     3G16 room
     3-312

     P.O. Box
     10.000

     1970 CA
     IJMUIDEN

     phone       +31 (0)251-496400

     fax         +31 (0)251-470064

     mail        matthijs sneijders corusgroup com

|         |           "Yard, John"       |
|         |           <jyard ais ucla edu|
|         |           >                  |
|         |           Sent by:           |
|         |           redhat-list-bounces|
|         |           @redhat.com        |
|         |           15-06-2006 23:50   |
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           General Red Hat    |
|         |           Linux discussion   |
|         |           list               |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                      |
  |       To:       "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>                                     |
  |       cc:                                                                                                            |
  |       Subject:  RE: ulimit change does not persist across system boot                                                |

I modified /etc/security/limits.conf as suggested, booted,
and ... no change in ulimits -n ....

Suggestions ?

JYard
UCLA

( ps - internet searches suggest this is a
persistant Red Hat issue )