Areas to clear out on Redhat Server

Can someone advise me on what local  areas i can remove on a Redhat ES
Version3 Server as i am experiencing a problem when i run commands on the
machine, it is intensely slow and i wondered if one of my temp areas was
full or filling up. I found allot of data in the obvious place /var/log but
i am unsure what i can delete without having an affect on the server
itself. Any help/Advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Andrew Bridgeman
This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.