ulimit change still does not persist across system boot

As root :

ou have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[xxxx:/sunusr/slapd-eds1/logs] # ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) 4
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024    <=========
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 10240
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 7168
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

Root can only open 1024 files, I need to increase this,
and I can't ,

JYard