RE: sort

	-----Original Message-----
	From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com on behalf of Aimin Yan
	Sent: Sat 06/17/2006 02:23 PM
	To: redhat-list redhat com
	Subject: sort

	i have a file, I want to sort this file based on the 2nd column, and start
	from 1st row.how can
	I do use sort command to do in redhat linux.
	for example, this is file I want to sort

	name  age  income
	trorry   34    344
	aimin   36    345
	shihe   23    3667

	Aimin

	Lots of possible answers to this, here is one that preserves the header line, and the rest of the file contents:

	f={filename}

	(head -1 $f; awk 'BEGIN {getline} {print $0}' $f | sort -k2 -n) > $f.new

	mv $f.new $f

	This depends on having a single title line in the field, a better method, in my opinion, is to use the pound sign (#) to mark comments.  The code then becomes:

	f={filename}

	(grep '^#' $f; grep -v '^#' $f | sort -k2 -n) > $f.new

	mv $f.new $f

	Enjoy