fsck fails during boot with 2.6.9-34.0.1.EL kernel because root filesystem is already rw mounted

Floriola floriola2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 25 07:57:33 UTC 2006

Hi Nitin,

Thanks for your answer. My /etc/fstab contains the following line for the root filesystem:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 / ext3 rw 1 1

However, I changed it to

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 / ext3 defaults 1 1

and rebooted, but the same problem hapened.

It looks like in the early stage of the booting, when the kernel is using the initrd to load the
modules, the /etc/fstab does not matter.

I still do not understand why in my new initrd file, with the new kernel, the root filesystem is
nounted read-write, instead of read-only.

Regards,
Floriola