Enabling quotas on an already existing file system

Padiyath Sreekumaran kumar.padiyath at psi.ch
Tue Jun 27 14:31:58 UTC 2006

  Hello,
   OS : RedHat release 4

   I have the following situation. At present I have a file system
   Which is mounted without quota option and users are using it.
   (/etc/fstab content:
   /dev/vg00/ftp_data /data xfs  defaults  1 2)

    I want to implement userquota on this file system. I would like to
know the following:

 1. Can I implement quota on this file system?
 2. If I can, Can I do the following:

    a. unmount /data
    b. mount with following command:
        /dev/vg00/ftp_data /data xfs  defaults,usrquota  1 2

    c.  quotacheck -avum

    d.  quotaon -a

    d.  then I will define the quota with "edquota username /data"

     I donot know whether I have missed anything. I cannot make any
     test on this production system.

     Regards
      Kumar

Padiyath Sreekumar       |   Tel: +41.56.310.3643
Paul Scherrer Institut   |   email: kumar.padiyath at psi.ch
AIT                      |   Office: WHGA/U132
WHGA/U132                |   Fax: +41.56.310.3649
CH-5232 Villigen PSI     |
Switzerland              |