Normal to have 14 httpd processes?

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Thu Jun 29 17:24:16 UTC 2006

The HTTPD server uses separate processes for each client connection.
When the client's request is received by the server is uses one of
already running idle processes of the server. If there is no idle
processes (all running copies of the server are serving clients) the
server will fork another process to service the request. When the
request is serviced the server process used for that request will become
idle and awaiting a new request. Of course, there are limits on the
number of server processes, e.g. the server will not use more than
specified number of processes and will kill the idle processes when
there are too many server processes. The process owned by root is the
master process which control creation and deletion of server processes
and the processes owned by apache are the ones used for processing of
client requests. The limits are set by directives StartServers,
MinSpareServers, MaxSpareServers in Apache configuration file.
Therefore, if the number of httpd processes is within the limits set by
those directives it is normal. You may lower the limit the number of
httpd processes using the directives above.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com