-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Chris St. Pierre
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:04 PM
To: redhat-list redhat com
Subject: libcrypto names

I've got an RPM that requires libcrypto.so.0.9.7.  The problem is that
RHEL's OpenSSL package provides libcrypto.so.4.  Some googling
suggests that these are, in fact, the same library, just named
differently: the .4 is an RHEL thing, while the .0.9.7 is the OpenSSL
version.  (The RPM is packaged without a specific distro in mind.)
How can I solve this dependency, preferably without installing a
non-RHEL OpenSSL package?

The only thing I can think of is to create an RPM package that just
installs a symlink to libcrypto.so.4 under libcrypto.so.0.9.7, and
reports to the RPM database that this package provides
libcrypto.so.0.9.7.  This seems like overkill, and I'm also a total
noob when it comes to making my own RPMs.  Other ideas?

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University