Re: Normal to have 14 httpd processes?

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Chris W. Parker wrote:

Hello,

I just noticed that I've got 14 httpd processes all using about ~23 MB
of virtual memory. One of the services is owned by root and the other 13
are owned by apache. Our site is by no means high traffic. In fact, it's
very low traffic. And on top of that the load average is currently at
0.00.

Normal? Abnormal?

Normal. The server will prefork a bunch of processes. The number is configurable in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf or something similar.

--
"Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis