Resizing partitions and copying data with dd

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) MarMcDouga at gov.mb.ca
Wed Mar 1 17:57:08 UTC 2006

I am trying to move my root mount to a bigger partition without tearing
down the whole machine.  I created a new ext3 partition of 10G.  I then
tried to copy my existing root partition to the new partition using:

 dd if=/dev/oldroot of=/dev/newroot

It worked great except my newroot is 2G, not 10.  I tried using
ext2online but there are some incompatibilities, or so it thinks.
Anyone have a suggestion on how I can move my root mount to a new 10G
partition without any catastrophe?  Thanks.

Regards, Marshall