Those pesky Apache permissions (was Re: (kein Betreff))

David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A. d.tonhofer at m-plify.com
Mon Mar 13 23:19:35 UTC 2006

--On Monday, March 13, 2006 10:09 AM +0100 Krassen Deltchev <deltchev at neurop.rub.de> wrote:

> Hello!
> Sorry, for answering to you as a PM and for giving you so late my reply!
> The problem has been solved and i wanted to thank you for your support, really
> appreciated!

Thank you. Don't worry about answering late, this is all voluntary work ;-)

> The only thing ,that i'm still missing is ,that the user(of that
> group:33) can't rename the file index.html(example:to index.htm or to
> index2.html),but replacing it with a new version of the file works
> wonderful using winSCP3.

That *is* weird. Replacing (i.e. deleting a few and creating a new file) and
renaming are both write operations on the directory. If you can do one,
you should be able to do the other. A WinSCP weirdness? Except if 'replacing'
is 'filling with new contents'? Check again that the group permission is indeed
write and that the user is indeed the group that owns the directory -
using vigr, open the /etc/group file, the line with the group 33 must
look like this:

uploader:x:33:foo,bar,baz

if group 33 is named 'uploader' and users 'foo', 'bar' and 'baz' are in it.

> I have changed the group ownership of the folder containing the whole
> data for the html-site(every file has  the group
> ownership(33)-rekursiv),the funny thing was, that before doing this
> ,only the root was the owner of that folder and root was the group owner....

Nah, that would be normal. If this was a site on which only some
webpages are being presented and no-one ever changes anything, it might
be natural to have the whole webspace owned by "root.root" but world-readable.
I have a few sites like that myself.

> If you have also good advices for books regarding apache webserver,i
> would be thankful ,if you let me know!

Hmmm I don't know. The only book I ever had was some german intro to Apache
1.1 or thereabouts, from before the bubble. I have the O'Reilly book on Apache
here. It seems complete but I haven't ever opened it. Maybe the Apache website
has some good references...check it out.

> Nice time and kindest regards!
>
> krassen

Best,

-- David