Problem changing local root password

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
Thu Mar 16 14:09:29 UTC 2006

Hi Nick,

There is a root user in the NIS database, The Sun system that is the NIS
server creates this entry when the tables are updated.
But in /etc/nsswitch.conf on the linux system the order of the lookup is
configured as FILES first, then NIS
When on the linux system i cd into the homefolder of root (using cd ~) it
goes to /root and not / as the root user in NIS has.

All this is as it should be, the only thing not working right is changing
root's local password.

Regards

Andrew Bridgeman
|+--------------------------+---------------------------------------------|
||   "Lunt, Nick"           |                                             |
||   <Nick.Lunt at wesleyan.co.|           To:        "General Red Hat Linux |
||   uk>                    |   discussion list" <redhat-list at redhat.com> |
||   Sent by:               |           cc:                               |
||   redhat-list-bounces at red|           Subject:        RE: Problem       |
||   hat.com                |   changing local root password              |
||                          |                                             |
||   16/03/2006 13:43       |                                             |
||   Please respond to      |                                             |
||   General Red Hat Linux  |                                             |
||   discussion list        |                                             |
||                          |                                             |
|+--------------------------+---------------------------------------------|

Hi Andrew,

Im guessing here, but have you set the root user to use NIS ?
Try yppasswd if so.

That's about all I can offer I'm afraid,
Nick .

Wesleyan Administration Services Ltd registered number 5188850 and Wesleyan
Unit Trust Managers Ltd registered number 2114859 ("WUTM Ltd") are wholly
owned subsidiary companies of Wesleyan Assurance Society, whose registered
number is ZC145. WUTM Ltd is a member of IMA. For ISA/PEP/Unit Trusts
Administration Centre: PO Box 9033, Chelmsford, SM99 2WQ Telephone: 0870
601 6129 Wesleyan Assurance Society and WUTM Ltd are authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Head Office, Colmore Circus,
Birmingham B4 6AR. Telephone: 0121 200 3003 Fax 0121 200 2971. Website:
www.wesleyan.co.uk Telephone calls may be recorded for monitoring and
training purposes.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the
person or organisation to whom it is addressed. Its contents are
confidential and may be protected in law. Unauthorised use, copying or
disclosure of any of it may be unlawful. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact us immediately.

The contents of any attachments in this e-mail may contain software
viruses, which could damage your own computer system. While every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk has been taken, we cannot
accept liability for any damage that you sustain as a result of software
viruses. You should carry out your own virus checking procedure before
opening any attachment.

Delivered using mail2.wesleyan.co.uk

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.