supported kernel versions

Nupur channu.j at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 04:19:30 UTC 2006

On 3/17/06, Sudhakar Manukonda <mnsrsudhakar at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>  Hi,
>

>  We are using (Redhat 32bit ) and (Suse 64bit) machines .
>

>  The g++ compiler version we use is "gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.2 2.96-124.7.2)"
>
>  The gcc compiler for suse is "gcc version 3.3.3 (SUSE Linux)"
>
>  We're using these compilers and we're not sure what versions of RedHat and SuSE they translate to.
>
>  How or Where I can find the linux kernel that these gcc versions support can what versions of RedHat and SuSE does that kernel version translate into?
>
>  Please clarify and advise
>  Rgds
>  Sudhakar

What all I understood from your question, the answer for the same is as follows:

Kernels require different versions of gcc. like linux kernel 2.6
requires minimum gcc version of 2.3.
you cannot determine from gcc versions that what are the respective
kernel versions. As gcc is backward compatible, gcc-2.3 can be used
for kernel 2.4 as well.

Also, in redhat linux, if you want to know the kernel version, type
the command  uname -a

If this does not answer your question then please mail back.

--
     Nupur