Question with regards to NFS mount

George Magklaras georgios at ulrik.uio.no
Tue Mar 28 09:36:07 UTC 2006

One explanation (assuming that your NFS handles are not stale and
probably they are not from what you are writing) is that when you use
the Gnome File Manager, the userid you are currently logged as and
invokes the GFM application does not have sufficient privileges to read
all the subdirs under the exported /nas folder. The df reports the
result of the export from processes that have permissions to see the
entire partition and pass the NFS attributes to the client. That is not
true for the GFM (or any file manager that reads parts of an exported fs
with certain non global user privileges) and it that case it will
silently omit from the sum the dirs or files it does not have access to.
If you open (under GFM) the /nas share you should clearly see that some
of the dirs are restricted (the icon indicates that with a 'restricted'
sign), then you should verify what I am saying. On the contrary, if you
executed the file manager on the server side as root, you should get the
full story.

George B. Magklaras

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://www.biotek.uio.no/

EMBnet Norway: http://www.biotek.uio.no/EMBNET/