Change in percent disk used after directory deletion and recovery

Budi Febrianto bfebrian at gmx.net
Wed Mar 1 02:01:42 UTC 2006

Hello Jeff,

Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 2:10:04 AM, you wrote:

JB> Ed -

JB> Thanks for the insight and the lesson to use locate.  As Paul Harvey would
JB> say; now I know the rest of the story.  A simple locate on a single file
JB> found that the missing directory had been accidentally moved to an adjacent
JB> subdirectory as a result of a bad mouse move in a Windows GUI.  I wish I
JB> would have thought of that yesterday while others were in a panic.  I was
JB> calm because I knew that it was only an inconvenience to restore from tape
JB> and not a catastrophe.  The results of the locate fits the description
JB> provided to me from the person explaining what they thought they did.  And
JB> it explains the significant increase in disk usage.  I am very glad that we
JB> have a good tape backup system.  Overall we only lost a hour and a half of
JB> time and had to re-edit a couple of files.

JB> [jeffb at Bison jeffb]$ locate StanESA.doc
JB> /ecosystem/Projects/LEAPS/StanESA.doc
JB> /ecosystem/Reference/Projects/LEAPS/StanESA.doc

JB> Jeff Boyce
JB> Meridian Environmental
JB> www.meridianenv.com

    While discuss moving folder in file server, I want to ask
    something related if you don't mind.
    Right now I'm using old novell 4.11 file server, planning to move to
    some linux os with samba, maybe RHEL or some clone... depend on
    the budget :).
    Right now, users often do moves folder from original location to
    another... and in novell file server, there is no log whatsoever.
    Even worst, they move the folder from file server to their local
    harddisk... make me difficult to find the moved folder... had to
    restore from the backup.

    In samba, if we moving folder... is there any log?

    My users is common users with windows xp, around 150 users... click and drag what they do best.

--
Best regards,
 Budi Febrianto (mailto:bfebrian at gmx.net)