Resizing partitions and copying data with dd

Cecilio Marín cmarin at essiprojects.com
Thu Mar 2 13:41:56 UTC 2006

I suggest the use of 'partimage'. As 'dd', it makes images of partition,
but more early, easy than 'dd', and the results size is more little.
There are an static binaries on home page of project
(http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/partimage/partimage-0.6.4-static.tar.bz2?download).

Once you deploy the image on the new 10Gb FS, if it's ext3, from rescue
disk you must use the tool 'resize2fs' for enlarge the filesystem. Also,
use 'e2label' to make sure the original partition is using labels at
partitions for mount FS (fstab), and make changes to the
/boot/grub/menu.lst file.

Another method is create the new fs, use 'tar', 'cp', 'cpio' or 'rsync'
to populate files, and make changes at fstab, e2abel and grub.

Regards.