Lustre or other CFS

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Mar 3 12:43:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:39:52AM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Magnus Andersen wrote:
>
> > I've got a MSA1500 SAN from HP that I want to share between three servers
> > for backup purposes.  One of the servers will serve as a "gateway" to tape.
> > Does anyone have experience doing something similar?  I was looking at
> > Lustre CFS and was wondering if anyone has any thought on the software or
> > another cluster type software to recommend.
>
> I only have experience with IBM's GPFS filesystem. It works very well and
> integrates nicely with RHEL. The only drawback is that it is not Open
> Source.

I've had some cluster file system testing on my todo list for quite a
while.  The only we've tested so far is the Polyserve cluster file
system and that was on Windows.  Performance was absolutely horrible for
write operations.  The vendor actually recommended that we shut down one
node of the cluster for our write tests.

The two I really want to test is Red Hat's GFS (which is open source)
and Veritas's CFS.  I just need time and some test hardware again...

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org