Journaling File System

Debbie Tropiano debbiet at arlut.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 3 18:33:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 06:06:52PM -0500, Syed Ali wrote:
> I am trying to decided between JFS/GFS/Reiser/Ext3 for a production file
> server, any  benchmarks for a journaling file system for Linux, any
> links to articles/papers that have done this comparison already would be
> appreciated.

For our environment (NFS on SMP opterons) we've had problems with both
JFS and XFS (system crashes, known problems and possible data corruption)
under Fedora Core 2 (2.6.9 kernel).  We've not tried Reiser (but earlier
versions gave me fits in previous projects and our current application is
not a good fit ... Reiser works better with lots of smaller files vs fewer
very large files), nor GFS.

Since we put stability at a high priority, we've stuck with EXT3 and have
been very happy with it.  It's not caused us any system crashes or data
corruption, but as someone else did mention the once in a blue moon that
it requires a full fsck does take quite a long time, especially on a large
RAID (we run with 3ware controllers and, more recently, Tekram/Areca cards).

At this point, I only allow EXT3 on our systems (but we are looking for a
parallel file system for our upcoming SAN).

Good luck,
Debbie
--
| Debbie Tropiano                            |  debbiet at arlut.utexas.edu   |
| Environmental Sciences Laboratory          |     +1 512 835 3367 w       |